Tuesday, May 10, 2011

“Hand In Hand”

“Hand In Hand”

The long road has lead me through the darkness to this spot
I hesitate at the opening... could this really be the promised place
But I cannot keep my eyes from wandering inside
And there a tiny hand reaches out for me...
This could not be what I have come for...
This could not be not what my soul has ached for in the night...
I see no armies gathered round...
I see no weapons poised to lay waist to my enemies...
Not even the wealth to acquire such a defense is in my gaze...
Yet that tiny hand reflecting the firelight draws me in

I step toward the light that holds this tiny hand
How could I have ended here?
But I suddenly stop my wondering...
My hand is instinctively drawn to the tiny hand before me
And before I even catch a breath the tiny hand is holding mine
He is with me and there is comfort in the tiny hand
If I could I would stay like this forever...
His tiny hand wrapped around mine
Time moves on and so must we...
But the comfort from his tiny hand lingers on

Moment after moment pass...
I see that tiny hand build, create, shape and move...
I see that tiny hand catch, throw, and clap...
I see that tiny hand hold!
That tiny hand gets less tiny by the day...
That not so tiny hand prays and heals and sets free
That not so tiny hand casts out evil and brings life
That not so tiny hand touches me and I am made whole
I find all that I had longed for was so much more than I could dream
That not so tiny hand still draws me in

My journey seemed complete as I watched his not so tiny hand
Then came a day when that hand passed a loaf of bread and glass of wine...
That day that hand prayed...
Moments later that hand was bound... then pulled... then pierced...
...
Then came that moment... when that hand went still.
I gazed at my own hands...
So empty and powerless...
What could I do now?
When all I have is the memory of his hand that lingers on

The long road leads me through the darkness in grief and despair
I hesitate at another step... could hope have missed it’s promised place
But I cannot keep my eyes from wandering ahead
And there I find a mighty hand reaches out for me...
This is what I have come for...
This is what my soul has ached for in the night...
I see his angels gathered round...
I see his power poised to lay waist to evil...
More than I could ever ask for is in my gaze...
And that mighty hand reflecting the firelight draws me in

I step toward the light that beholds this mighty hand
How could I not have seen what he said would be here?
But I suddenly stop my wondering...
My hand is instinctively drawn to the mighty hand before me
And before I even catch a breath his mighty hand is holding mine
He is with me and there is comfort in his mighty hand
I know for sure that we will stay like this forever...
His mighty hand wrapped around mine...
Time moves on and so must we... what seems too tiny... holds us all...
The comfort from his mighty hand lingers on and on

LN Maher
(c) 2010 Echoes of The Lion's Roar (12/25)

Merry Christmas :).

No comments:

Post a Comment