Thursday, January 10, 2013

"Remember Me"


“Remember Me”
(Luke 23: 40-41)

Hanging in suffering, my mind is full of pain.
As I rise to my feet – I find I can breathe again.
How long can my strength hold me to stand?
No time for questions –
I breathe and find the air my instincts command.

Beside me, suffering quietly, is an innocent man.
He has been here as long as I have… I don’t understand
Even now, when I look at him through the pain in my own eyes,
I see a peace in him –
That answers my every broken cry

Remember me Lord.  When you come into your kingdom,
Remember me Lord.  I know I have no right to ask.
Remember me Lord.  The cross has left me with no resistance.
Remember me Lord.  Please forgive me – I just have to ask
Remember me Lord. (x3)

The sound of the crowd before me and the ringing in my ears,
Echoes my failure and ushers in my fears.
Where is the peace the man beside me finds?
Surely there is no escape –
I must know… I’ve tried so many kinds.

“We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve.”
But the man here beside me is only punished for his willingness to serve.
I want to feel the peace I see in this man’s eyes.
Please take me in! –
I want to be with you today in Paradise.

LN Maher
© 1997 Echoes of The Lion’s Roar (12/19)

No comments:

Post a Comment